ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO THE DIRECTOR
SBC GALLERY OF CONTEMPORARY ART
Located in downtown Tiohtià:ke/Montréal, SBC Gallery of Contemporary Art’s unique program is focused on contemporary art, culture and politics, offering discursive exhibitions, events and research and educational activities that engage a wide range of publics. It is SBC’s mission, as a non-collecting museum, to work with artists and other cultural practitioners to address relevant and timely issues in contemporary art and culture as they pertain to historical, current and emerging discourses both locally and in the world at large.
SBC seeks to hire an Administrative Assistant to the Director to ensure the smooth operation of the organization while SBC moves forward into the next phase of its exciting development, which includes its relocation.
Under the responsibility of the Director, the Administrative Assistant to the Director is responsible for the smooth administrative and financial operation of the organization. The Administrative Assistant to the Director is responsible for monitoring, steering and evaluating progress in day to day administrative matters, including grant writing; The Administrative Assistant to the Director provides support to the Director in implementing measures to achieve the institution’s medium- and long-term goals, including the institution’s relocation, fundraising and development, institutional strategic planning and expansion, as well as liaising with government bodies.
The Administrative Assistant to the Director
● Assumes the management responsibility for all operational activities of the Gallery; including overseeing and preparing payroll, accounting operations (income, disbursements, cash flow), keeping accounting systems and supervising the preparation of reports and financial statements;
● Is responsible for the development and proper functioning of IT tools and operation systems;
● Prepares and oversees a variety of monthly and special financial reports as needed for operations, Board of Directors, funding agencies, Canada Revenue Agency, Revenue Québec, etc.;
● Supports the Director in the implementation and oversight of SBC’s operational Strategic Plan.
● Works closely with Director and staff in coordinating the development and management of budgets;
● Supports the Director by coordinating grant writing and overseeing regular reporting;
● Works with Director in preparing the projected and actual budgets for Board approval;
● Supports the Director in working with the Fundraising Committee at developing private and corporate sponsorships;
● Supports management in staff training: supervising and training employees and volunteers on the office and management systems necessary for their work, supervising the training of independent consultants, as needed;
● Ensures the proper functioning of communications and marketing systems that reach multiple demographics.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
● at least 5 years in arts management with similar responsibilities, or comparable experience;
● track record of administrative management combined with the attention to detail required to successfully manage a busy organization;
● excellent financial management skills including budgeting and forecasting;
● successful track record in grant writing in the arts and/or cultural sectors;
● solid knowledge of accounting principles;
● fluency in French or English, written and spoken, with working knowledge of the other language;
● ability to work well in a team and with diverse constituencies;
● familiarity with Canadian, Québec and Montréal governmental funding agencies an asset;
● ability to problem-solve and manage multiple priorities under pressure and in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines/turnaround times.
SBC is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. We encourage submissions from those who identify as Indigenous, as a person of colour, as a differently-abled person and other candidates who experience marginalization.
SBC Gallery, its offices, and a dedicated bathroom on the floor are wheelchair accessible.
This is a permanent, part-time position. 16 hours a week with the possibility of additional or
$25 per hour
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a current CV; a cover letter to the Selection Committee indicating your interest in working at SBC and how you meet the criteria; 3 references.
Apply by email with “Administrative Assistant to the Director” as the subject line, to: email@example.com. Please attach PDF files only.
Kindly note that we are only able to contact applicants who are invited to interview.
Deadline to submit your application: May 10, 2020.